George H. Soares
George H. Soares is a partner in KSC. He is the managing partner of the firm, regularly appears before the California State Legislature and state agencies, and has earned AV-Preeminent status, which is the highest peer rating in the practice of law in recognition of his professional skills and high ethical standards.
During his career, George and the firm have been responsible for drafting and influencing thousands of legislative and regulatory proposals affecting a broad spectrum of interests. Of particular note was passage of the largest tax relief package ever for California agriculture, and creation of a landmark body of law that authorizes formation of state entities referred to as commissions that allow growers and handlers of agricultural commodities to expand markets, engage in public education, conduct production and marketing research, and numerous other activities.
Before entering private practice, he served as principal consultant to the California State Assembly Committee on Agriculture. George earned his Juris Doctor Degree at the University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law and is admitted to the California Bar, Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals and the United States Supreme Court. He received a Bachelor of Science Degree from California Polytechnic State University in San Luis Obispo, California, where he served as student body president.
George is a recipient of numerous awards and holds an honorary degree of doctor of laws presented by the California State University Board of Trustees. He also serves on several boards including Cal Poly, San Luis Obispo, and Fresno State.
George and his wife, Gloria, own a dairy and farming operation in Hanford, California.
Areas of Practice
- J.D., University of the Pacific, McGeorge School of Law
- B.S., Agricultural Business Management, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo
- Honorary Degree of Doctor of Laws presented by the California State University Board of Trustees
- Honorary Lifetime Member, California Agricultural Aircraft Association
- Honorary Lifetime Member, Western Crop Protection Association
- Honorary State Degree, FFA
- Alumnus of the Year, College of Agriculture, California Polytechnic State University
- Golden Bear Award for service to youth, California State Fair
- Profile in Leaders, California Agricultural Leadership Program
- Outstanding Service Award, American Crop Protection Association
- Pioneer Award, California Association of Grower Gins
- Jim Hicks Agricultural Achievement Award, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona
- Hall of Fame, Hanford Joint Union High School
- Distinguished Service Award, California Cotton Ginning Industry
- Member, Western Fairs Association Hall of Fame
- California State University Agricultural Advisory Committee, Chair
- Cal Poly Presidents’ Council of Advisors, Member
- California State University, Fresno, Commission on the Future of Agriculture, Co-Chair
- California State University, Fresno, Foundation Board of Governors, Member
- California State University, Fresno, President’s Portuguese Leadership Council
- San Joaquin College of Law Agricultural Advisory Board, Member
- California Agricultural Leadership Program, Graduate
- Politics Magazine, November/December 2010, Top 100 Players in California politics today
“… Americans from coast to coast eat the California produce grown across the state by farmers that he represents in Sacramento.”
- Capitol Weekly, April 2010 Top 100 List (No. 9) “Soares is the premier agricultural lobbyist in California, and in a state with the nation’s highest farm receipts, that’s saying something. Soares is at or near the center of every substantive water discussion in the state.”
- Capitol Weekly, April 2009 Top 100 List (No. 18) of the most influential political players in California (“…political skill and influence transcend the position they hold…”)
- Los Angeles Times: Bumper Crop of Clout (“…relies on his credibility and the relationships he cultivates to sell solutions that work for his clients as well as state officials…”)
- Commencement address, California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, California (1992) (2008)